Made with Moxie: Fancy Pants Leggings: Pattern Review

July 22, 2013

Fancy Pants Leggings: Pattern Review

I worked in retail for over ten years. As a result, I tend to rush the seasons. Actually, now that I think about it, I did that long before I was even old enough to work. My birthday is in May and as I kid I always wanted to wear shorts. When you live in upstate NY, mid May is occasionally cool enough to need a hoodie. When my mother told me I couldn't wear shorts to school I'd just walk out in jeans, then change in the garage on the way to the bus stop!

”Fancy

Now that it is July, I'm day dreaming of autumn. I want jeans and hoodies, boots and wooly sweaters, tights and clogs. I want a steaming cup of hot coffee and to snuggle on the porch under a quilt. I want the leaves to change. I want pumpkins and stews and fresh baked bread. Naturally, when I got my hands on a copy of the Fancy Pants Leggings by Laura of Titchy Threads I pulled out the red thermal knit I'd been hording saving since Jimmy was born. It's so soft and snuggly and I got it for a steal at my favorite fabric store, M&L fabrics.

”Fancy

My kids are the kind of kids who just want to throw on pajama pants at bed time with a tshirt. Mostly because it is what their dad and I sleep in, but also because I hate the feel of 'fire proof' kid's sleepwear fabric. (You guys know it's not really fire proof at all. The legal standard is that is stops burning once removed from a source flame. It's usually made of polyester, which melts and still burns the hell out of kids.) In any case, I hate the stuff. My kiddos are super tall and skinny, too so they either have droopy pants or cropped ones. I was hopeful that the Fancy Pants Leggings would be a great jammy pants pattern for our house. Turns out, Jane thought they were great leggings too and wore them all day. Ninety degree heat and all. That's love.

”Fancy

This pattern is so easy to stitch up and sew along. The instructions are clear and making sewing up knits a breeze. I usually hesitate to sew with knits because I usually end up frustrated and messing things up. Laura's pattern makes is easy. After Kitschy Coo's Lady Skater pattern and this one, I am so much more comfortable with knits. The only way to conquer your fears is to take them right on. Practice does make perfect.

”Fancy

I can't recommend this pattern enough. Both kiddos love their Fancy Pants Leggings. A lot. Now I've just got to take a day to whip them up a few more pairs. And probably some shorts versions as well, since, realistically speaking, it won't be autumn here form months. UGH!

”Fancy

Go get yourself a copy of the Fancy Pants Leggings and tell Laura that Moxie sent you!